Sunday, January 22, 2012

San Francisco Bloggers Corner:

Check out my interview with San Francisco Fashion Bloggers, Laura Ellner of On The Racks and Jennie Lodge of Going West!!


Q1. What inspired you to start your blog?

Jenny: I started Going West as a blog to chronicle my move from Iowa to San Francisco. It was a great way for my entire family to know how it was going. Several months later, I decided to use it as a place to document my outfits. I wanted to push myself to develop my style, and my logic was that if other people were looking, it would be motivation for me to keep posting and trying new things. It's like making a promise out loud to the public - they expect you to keep your word. 

Laura: I started OnTheRacks because I was looking for a creative outlet where I could express myself and my love for fashion. My boyfriend got a nice camera for Christmas just before I began blogging, so it was perfect timing and we both found ourselves a new hobby! 

Rachel: I started Rachel The Stylish Wanderer because fashion has always been my absolute passion. Teens often ask me about the latest trends and style advice. was looking for a way to communicate my fashion inspirations so the idea of starting a blog grew steadily. 









Q2. What new clothing items are you eyeing this winter?

Jenny: I'm waiting to see what will catch my eye. I'm interested in edgy items for winter/spring, but I find myself buying pieces of color from time to time as well.
Laura: I am moving to New York next month, so what I am really looking for is a giant, warm coat! It is tough to find warm pieces that are still cute and stylish, but I am on a mission. Also, shoes. I am always looking for shoes! 


Rachel: I am looking to update my denim wardrobe with printed denim skinny jeans. I am also on the lookout for the perfect Moto jacket that is effortlessly cool.


Q3. What do you enjoy most about blogging?

Jenny: Blogging has introduced me to so many new things. It led to my current job, and more importantly, I met all my friends through blogging. 

Laura:  think maintaining a blog pushes you to be creative and constantly try out new things when it comes to fashion. It has made me step outside of my comfort zone! Also, I have met some amazing people through blogging -- both readers and fellow bloggers. I love it!

Rachel: It forces me to be innovative with the clothes in my closet to create different looks. I has led me to new hobbies such as photography, and start my own personal styling business for teens.


Q4. How would you describe your 
style?

Jenny: I always thought my style was that hard-edged East Coast and rock 'n roll-inspired aesthetic, but really, it's very basic and clean with a Southern California influence creeping in. 









Laura: I usually describe my style as eclectic. I like to mix and match affordable and vintage pieces with an occasional designer splurge! 



Rachel: I call myself a "Stylish Wanderer" because I love to experiment with different styles and trends. One day I may feel a preppy Upper East Sider, the next a grungy rock n' roller or hippie. The great thing about fashion is that you can change who you are everyday.


Q5. Who inspires your wardrobe and why?

Jenny: I'm inspired by so many people and designers. Although, I remember my body type is nothing like theirs, and I don't have the money to buy the designers I love. I think I'm also very influenced by rock music. That was definitely my original influence. I always wanted to look like the cool rock chic who went to concerts and hung out with the band all the time. 

Laura: I am inspired by so may things! I love to read other blogs and check out fashion magazines and street style photography. I am also very inspired by the beautiful city of San Francisco -- the buildings, art and culture all inspire me! 

Rachel: Where do I begin...Rachel Zoe, Olivia Palermo, and the Olson twins are a few of my favorites. Nylon and Teen Vogue are magazines that inspire me. I always read WhoWhatWear online to follow the fashion world closely.










Q6. What do you do when your not blogging?









Jenny: I work full time, go home and work on blog stuff, and then spend time with my dog and boyfriend. 




Laura: I work in marketing/social media for an online shopping service full-time. Blogging is just a side project. :)

Rachel: I'm a Senior in high school, work part-time at Nordstroms, eat at gourmet restaurants, take a lot of photos, and hang with friends.




Q7. Who are your favorite designers?


Jenny: I love Alexander Wang, Helmut Lang, and Cushnie et Ochs (plus many more).  















Laura: My favorite designers right now are Alexander Wang, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Theory, Shakuhachi and My Pet Square.



Rachel: Haute Hippie, Isabel Marant, Alice & Olivia, and Zadig & Voltaire.


Q8. Where are your favorite places to shop?

Jenny:  love to shop at Aritzia and H&M. I like to shop at too many online stores. And thrifting in the Midwest is one of my favorite things to do.
Laura: I am a big online shopper and love sites like Shopbop, ASOS, and Net-a-porter. Some of my favorite boutiques in San Francisco are LF on Union Street, Mira Mira, Azalea and My Roommates Closet. 


Rachel: I love Topshop, LF, Zara, BCBG, Madewell, Bloomingdales, Nordstroms, and Shotwell (based in San Francisco). I also adore Urban Outfitters, H&M, and Forever 21.

Q9. Are there any trends you are particularly inspired by this season?

Jenny: Tailored pieces (which always seem to be on trend) are what I seem to fall for every season.

Laura: I love that there is so much color! Also very drawn to the 70's inspired trends. 




Rachel: The sweet and feminine peplum trend on shirts, tops, and dresses.


No comments:

Post a Comment